The aim of the FertileCity II (CTM2016-75772-C3-1-R) project is to deepen the research and promotion of urban agriculture through integrated greenhouses on rooftops, providing information and tools that make it possible. Fertilecity II wants to complete the development of LAU-ICTA experimental laboratories; minimize the use of resources (water and nutrients) for the production of low-carbon foods.
- Quantify the quantity and quality of agricultural production, material resources and the resilience of sustainable, quality, harmless and local food production in indoor greenhouse horticultural systems.
- Investigate the metabolism of rainwater flows and system nutrients to obtain efficient use of resources by recirculating leachate.
- Assess the environmental impact of the life cycle of food production in vertical AU.
- Analyze the social aspects associated with the life cycle of indoor urban agriculture, as well as its economic viability and business opportunities associated with them for SMEs and large companies.
- Architecturally optimize the materials and infrastructure of the greenhouse integrated into the roof.
- The modeling and analysis of the comparative thermal behavior of greenhouses and the identification of possible improvements and recommendations.
- Assess the environmental impact of the greenhouse cycle.
- Determine the potential of city roofs for food production and their integration into the urban fabric.